I can’t help but wonder why chicken sausages aren’t more of a ‘thing’ in the UK. I’m sure a lot of you have found as soon as you go abroad (particularly to Asia) they’re everywhere and they’re pretty damn good. But here they are way way better still, if they’re seasoned properly, like these Live Lean ones most definitely were and the ones I’ve tried from Asda were AND when 2 pork sausages have 9g or so of saturated fat and chicken sausages only 2, we’re talking a MASSIVE difference when you’re trying to watch the waistline. Plus, you can add pretty much any seasoning you like to them, I’ve gone with cajun as I love the spice but that could be rosemary, thyme, paprika, pretty much anything would work.
I also love sweet potatoes, as I’ve mentioned before, I generally find them more tasty than normal potatoes even though the actual carb density difference isn’t huge. Plus, I find when you microwave a normal white potato, the skin really detracts from the overall taste and the texture of the potato itself just doesn’t work. So when you’re pushed for time and you want some carbs, whacking a sweet potato in the oven for 10 minutes is perfect. A little hint is also to wrap them in wet kitchen towel to stop the skin drying out too much. A splash of this dressing with some feta is also absolutely sublime combined with the flesh of the sweet potato.
Last but not least, a simple and light rocket, feta, lettuce and cherry tomato salad is all you need on the side, particularly when you’ve got some delicious sweet and spicy aromatic dressing to go with it. I love to make my own dressings and the amount of olive oil I use compared to the dressings you’d normally buy in the supermarket is minimal. A little bit of white wine vinegar is also perfect to add a sharp edge to pretty well any dressing, which is why I almost always use a little bit.
1 tbsp Cajun (I used @thegymchef – macro friendly) but standard supermarket is also fine (10p)
4 chicken sausages (I used @livelean which are BANGING) (£1.25)
2 medium sized sweet potatoes (40p)
125g cherry tomatoes (65p)
50g rocket (60p)
1/3 iceberg lettuce (20p)
40g Feta cheese (19p)
Chilli and Lemongrass dressing –
1 small fresh chilli (15p)
1 tsp @verylazy lemongrass paste (10p) (can also use 1/4 a lemongrass stick)
4 tbsp lemon juice (10p)
2 tbsp olive oil (10p)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar (10p)
1 tsp Honey (5p)
sprinkle of salt and pepper.
You’ll need a blender for the dressing, microwave for the sweet potatoes and a frying pan for the chicken sausages.
- Sprinkle the tbsp Cajun on the chicken sausages and throughly cover them. Leave in a bowl while you do sort the sweet potato and salad.
- Stab the sweet potatoes with a fork and stick them in the microwave for 10-12 minutes. Once the inside feels mushy, they’re good to go!
- Finely shred the 1/3 lettuce and half the cherry tomatoes. 2 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes have been on for 2 minutes, pop the chicken sausages on with a few sprays of @frylighthq sunflower oil (normal olive oil also works but not as lean). Cook evenly for 8 minutes.
- Once the chicken sausages are on, pop the tsp lemongrass, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp white wine vinegar, 4 tbsp lemon juice, small chilli and a tsp honey in the blender until thoroughly blended.
- Take the sweet potatoes out, sausages off the heat and mix up the rocket, cherry tomatoes and lettuce.
Sprinkle some dressing and Feta on the salad and sweet potato and serve the rest up! ?