I’m a huge porridge fan, there’s no doubt about it, I love how versatile you can make it too, as oats work with so many different flavours. Ranging from chocolate, peanut butter, every fruit imaginable, to savoury, lardons, eggs, spring onions… They all work with Oats, so long as you get the quantities and timings right when you cook them. BUT, that being said, quite a few people I know aren’t such porridgites, often because of the texture, for those people, in steps the bowl-cake.
Bowl-Cakes take the oat game up another level. They’re huge in France already and I don’t see any reason why they haven’t taken over here too. They’re so easy to make, as you’ll find out if you follow this simple recipe, and full of energy to get you going in the morning. I’ve gone with my personal favourite to pop on here, Mocha (partly because i love coffee and chocolate). It’s perfect for breakfast as it gives you an instant bit of energy from the honey and caffeine from the coffee. But also plenty of longer lasting energy from the oats, and of course protein from the whey isolate.
Just like with porridge, you can throw in pretty much anything and it’ll work so long as you get the balance right, I went with banana and peaches. Be warned, this may change your breakfast life forever….
- 100g rolled oats (8p)
- 2 free range eggs (30p)
- 2 tbsp honey (10p)
- 6 tbsp Milk (can use almond, soya, oat or any type of milk ) (10p)
- 1/2 scoop chocolate whey isolate protein powder (i use infinite labs) (30p)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (50p)
- 1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp water. (5p)
- 1 tbsp baking powder (5p)
- Any fruit you like to decorate I used a banana and a peach ?(25p)
1. In a bowl, mix the oats, milk, eggs, honey, protein powder, coffee, chia seeds and baking powder until thoroughly mixed into an even consistency. 4 minutes.
2. Seperate into 2 seperate bowls and cover with a plate before popping wax in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirring and then returning to the microwave for 1 and a half minutes.
Voila! Serve it up with whatever else extra you like. Enjoy!