It’s rather an odd sensation that we in the UK think of kebabs as oily, greasy takeaways that we grab after a night on the town when we’re craving fat. In actual fact, they come from fresh, spiced meats, often grilled, along with lashings of salad and raw vegetables full to the brim with nutrition and low in oil and saturated fat. I’ll be the first to admit that after a few drinks i’ll happily devour a lamb doner in a pitta stuffed with chilli sauce and mayonnaise, but I rarely go for ‘the one next to it’, which just so happens to be a chicken shawarma.
Now to start off with, even in a kebab shop, despite the amount of oil and processing that goes into a chicken shawarma, it is still more lean than a lamb doner. However, that’s about the end of the list of things that it is more lean than, especially if you’re like me and you can’t say no to some delicious extra chips and sauces to go with whatever you’re ordering (even if it’s chips in the first place…).
So what do you do to replicate the taste, succulence and portion size of a chicken shawarma from the kebab shop when you’re conscious of your physique and your health? Well, to keep it short, you read on until you get to the recipe for this fakeaway. The combination of spices and herbs that this recipe uses is sublime; cumin, paprika, allspice, cajun, garlic, lemon juice and fresh chilli combine to create a rich continental flavour that the light and sweet fresh vegetables and the 0% fat home made tzatziki go hand in hand with.
When it only takes 11 minutes to throw together, consider it another one of my gifts to you to celebrate your journey to becoming the healthy person you want to be.
- 1 tbsp Cumin (10p)
- 1 tbsp paprika (10p)
- 1/2 tbsp allspice (5p)
- 1/2 tbsp cajun (5p)
- 15g fresh parsley (20p)
- 1 tbsp @gymchef garlic & herb (10p)
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric (7p)
- 500g chicken thighs (£2.49)
- 4 wholemeal wraps (45p)
- 1/2 cucumber (23p)
- 1 onion (25p)
- 100g mushrooms (40p)
- 2 small tomatoes (25p)
- 1/2 small lettuce (20p)
- 4 tbsp 0% fat yoghurt (10p)
- 1 tbsp garlic granules (8p)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice (8p)
- 1 fresh chilli (25p).
For the Tzatziki; 4 tbsp 0% fat yoghurt, 1/8 cucumber finely chopped, 1/2 tbsp garlic granules, 1 tbsp salt, 1/2 tbsp pepper, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 5g fresh chopped parsley. Simply mix it all together.
For the Chicken Shawarma mix you’ll need a frying pan for the chicken and that’s it!
1. Chop up the chicken, pop it in a bowl and lather in the tbsp paprika, tbsp cumin, tbsp garlic & herb, 1/2 tbsp Cajun, half tbsp cajun and 2 tbsp lemon juice. 3 minutes.
3. Finely dice the onion and chilli (remove seeds) and pop half of the onion and all of the chilli in the frying pan with some light oil on a medium heat. 3 minutes.
4. In the mean time; chop up the mushrooms and after 2 minutes pop the chicken in with the onions and chilli, stir regularly for 3 minutes before adding the mushrooms and stirring regularly for a further 3 minutes.
5. Whilst the chicken cooks, finely chop the tomatoes, 1/2 lettuce small and the rest of the 1/2 cucumber and leave them aside ready to stuff your wrap full of goodness.
6. With 1 minute left on the chicken, pop the fajitas in the microwave for 30 seconds.
7. Take the chicken off the heat and stuff the wraps full with plenty of veg and tzatziki.
It’s time to EAT IT ? Hope you enjoy