It’s national vegetarian week so I thought I would share my super speedy go-to veggie omelette. I always try and keep a stash of the dressing ready to go for salads in general but particularly as I know how much it brings to this omelette. When I’ve got 15 minutes or so and I need a quick bit of lean but nutritious lunch, this is a perfect as there’s plenty of protein from the eggs, loads of vitamins and minerals from all of the veggies and, it tastes amazing, which is always a bonus…
Loads of people struggle with getting an omelette right as to be fair, there are a few little things that guarantee it’s going to fail and become scrambled eggs, or a rock hard bottom and runny top. First thing, unless you don’t mind using loads of oil to stop it sticking, you absolutely have to have a good non-stick pan or you’ll be fighting an uphill battle from the get go. Second is just to slide the spatula gently under the omelette once the base of it has started to firm up and double check it isn’t sticking (there are sometime little parts that just need nudging to separate the egg from the pan). Third is too much egg for the pan, if the pan isn’t big, you can’t stick loads of eggs in or it will end up being too thick to cook evenly through ie. burned bottom and runny top…. Finally, and the biggest problem is having the heat on too high once the egg goes in. Patience is a virtue (that I normally fail to possess) and by whacking the heat down, you’re going to be able to ease off the bits that have stuck as you go before it’s too late and a perfect omelette has gone down the pan.
On to the finishing touches, rocket brings such a unique peppery leaf flavour whenever you use it and that works brilliantly here to make this omelette a bit special. When you add the sweetness of the dressing to that and the salty tang of the sprinkle of feta, the flavours are really sublime. It’s little things like this that make standard dishes really come to life and whenever you think something may work just give it a go! Chances are, it probably will, and you may even be so lucky as to discover your ‘signature dish’, although I am yet to do so….
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2) – All from Lidl unless (Asda).
- 1 Red Pepper (30p)
- 6 Free Range Eggs (90p)
- 40g Feta Cheese (19p)
- 100g Cherry Tomatos (20p)
- 100g mushrooms (25p)
- 50g Rocket (35p)
- Salt & Pepper
- Fry Light Olive Oil Spray
For the Dressing
- 3 Cubes Frozen Mango (10p) (I took them from my smoothie stash!!) (Asda)
- 4 tbsp Lemon Juice (10p)
- 1 Tsp Honey (5p)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (10p) (Asda)
- 2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar (10p) (Asda)
- Sprinkle of salt & Pepper
For the Mango & Lime Dressing; Simply use a fork to mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and leave aside ready to sprinkle on the omelette when it’s ready! (may need another little mix to combine again before use).
You’ll need a medium sized frying pan and that’s it! Unless you have 2 pans, do them one by one, simply repeat the recipe for the second one.
- Slice the pepper into thin lengths, dice the mushrooms and quarter the cherry tomatoes. 3 minutes.
- A few sprays of oil in the pan on a high heat and throw in half of the peppers for 3 minutes.
- In the mean time, break 6 eggs into a bowl and whisk together thoroughly with a few pinches each of salt and pepper.
- After 3 minutes on the peppers, add the mushrooms and cherry tomatoes for a further 2 minutes.
- Then add half of the egg to the pan and spread out evenly across the vegetables. Turn the heat down to medium/low and leave to cook for a further 5 minutes, making sure it isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan (or you’re going to have scrambled egg when you try to serve up!).
- Take it off after 5 minutes, sprinkle on half of the rocket and drizzle a little bit of the dressing on before crumbling and sprinkling on half of the feta. ENJOY!