One of the biggest obstacles to eating well is time. Most of us live incredibly busy lives and it’s simply much easier to grab food on the go. That is, unless you have recipes that take next to no time or you’ve found some time to prep your meals. Not only will you save money from doing so, but you can also be certain that you’re eating exactly the nutrients you need to fuel your lifestyle. If you’ve had a big day of training for example, you have to get some complex carbs and fats down to recover properly. If you’re having a rest day, the carbs aren’t as necessary, and you’ll need more protein and vegetables to give you longer term energy stores for the day and the fuel for your muscles to recover.
Whenever I’m short of time, or can’t really be bothered to cook something that takes too much concentration, I cook a stir fry. That being said, I do still feel there is a bit of an art to it. Because everything cooks so quickly, it’s even more important that it’s all going in at the right time witht he right herbs and spices. It’s perfect for prep as you can simply microwave or cook some rice in 2 minutes if you’re on a training day. Or if you’re not, they’re always packed with protein and vegetables, so they’re just fine without the rice.
- 600g Chicken Breasts (£3.24)
- 300g Mixed Peppers (60p)
- 200g Courgette (36p)
- 90g Spring Onions (50p)
- 20g Chopped Coriander (20p)
- 20g Chilli Powder (20p)
- 15g Tomato Puree (10p)
- 10ml Olive Oil (10p)
- 2 Sachets Microwave Rice & Quinoa (£1.80)
- Salt & Pepper
You’ll only need a large frying pan or wok.
- Chop the chicken breasts into small, bite sized pieces, slice the peppers into lengths and chop up the courgette and spring onions.
- In a mixing bowl, throw in; the chicken, coriander, chilli powder, tomato puree and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Thoroughly mix it all together.
- On a high heat, throw the olive oil and peppers into the frying pan for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and courgette for a further 6 minutes.
- Add the spring onions for 2 more minutes and pop the rice in the microwave.
Take it all of the heat and serve it up. Simple as that!