With summer fruits ripe in the supermarkets, I thought I’d rustle something super quick and easy for breakfast that incorporates those berries. I settled on some French toast and thought why not make it sour dough (can you tell that I love sourdough yet?). Although it appears to be unhealthy, and tastes like a pudding for breakfast, it’s actually pretty good for you and not as high in sugar as you may thing. Cinnamon, Raspberries, Banana, Strawberries and Vanilla extract all bring a sweet taste without the associated refined sugar and calories. Plus you’re getting the protein from an egg that really fills you up for the day!
That being said, I can’t help but treat myself once a week and if you can’t for breakfast on a Sunday, when can you? So lather on the maple syrup if you want to, it’s so important to treat yourself every now and again. Just get an extra 20 minutes in the gym when you get a chance and you’ll more than make up for it!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (10p)
- 2 eggs (30p)
- 4 slices Honey Bread (60p)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon (10p)
- Fry Light Butter 50g
- Fresh raspberries (50p)
- 50g Fresh strawberries (50p)
- 1 Fresh banana (10p)
- 50 ml Maple syrup (52p)
You’ll need a frying pan and a bowl for the egg mixture.
1. Whisk together 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 eggs in a shallow bowl.
2. Dip each slice of sour dough thoroughly in the bowl and then cook on a medium to high heat for 2 1/2 minutes on each side.
3. Whilst they cook, chop up the strawberries and banana.
4. Serve up with a drizzle of maple syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon and some fresh fruit on top!