I’ve been wanting to throw together a carbonara recipe for AGES. Obviously a standard carbonara really doesn’t fit with a healthy lifestyle (unless it’s every now and again of course!). I had some of these Musclefoods turkey meatballs knocking about in the fridge and rather than knock up a tomato sauce, I thought I’d go for a carbonara! Avoiding the cream is the only way to make it healthy. I’ve used 0% fat greek yoghurt, a sprinkle of parmesan and some cottage cheese. This gives a delicious creamy and cheesy sauce BUT not the 48% fat content that you get in double cream. The challenge when you add the sauce is to make sure the eggs don’t start to scramble. Patience is a virtue here! Keep the temperature low and stir as you go.
The next moderation is getting enough protein in there. Simple. Turkey thigh meatballs and bacon medallions. 100g of egg white in the carbonara sauce is 10g protein already. With 22g of protein per 100g of turkey meatballs and 18.2g per 100g of bacon medallions, you’re definitely going to have more than enough protein! I also threw in some diced courgette and tomato just to pack some vitamin C, vitamin A and magnesium into the mix (to name but a few vitamins and minerals in tomatoes and courgettes!). Keeping the pasta brown quite simply means you’ll have more energy for longer too.
Make a batch and eat over the week! Let me know what you think, Rob x
60g Cottage Cheese (12p)
50g Hard Cheese (60p)
150g 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt (15p)
15g Garlic Granules (10p)
3 (120g) Egg Whites (24p)
A couple of pinches of Salt & Pepper
Pasta & Meatballs
300g Wholemeal Pasta (35p)
400g Turkey Meatballs (£2.70)
200g Bacon Medallions (£1.60)
20g Mixed Herbs (20p)
100g Onion (15p)
15g Chopped Garlic (10p)
200g Courgette (36p)
200g Mushrooms (70p)
100g Fresh Tomato (20p)
15ml Olive Oil (10p)
You’ll need a bowl to mix the carbonara sauce, a saucepan for the pasta and a large frying pan or wok for the carbonara. Boil the kettle with enough water for the pasta.
- Dice the onion, bacon, courgette, mushrooms and tomatoes. Grate the parmesan.
- Whisk together all of the carbonara ingredients thoroughly. Leave a little sprinkle of parmesan aside.
- Pop the pasta on a high heat for 12 minutes. Stir every now and again to stop sticking.
- Splash the olive oil into the frying pan on a medium/high heat and add the onions, chopped garlic and courgette for 2 minutes.
- Add the bacon and turkey meatballs and stir thoroughly. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms and lower the heat to low for 2 minutes.
- Add the Carbonara sauce and mixed herbs, gently stir every minute or so for 4 minutes.
- Take it all off the heat, drain the pasta and serve it up with a little sprinkle of parmesan.